This course has been organised into 3 parts: Each part has a corresponding video lecture and associated quizzes. Learners are required to watch the videos, do the readings, and complete the 4 lesson quizzes in order to pass the course. Additional activities, such as forums and projects, are highly encouraged.
Lecture I: . Incidents and Accidents - this module deals with the Health and Safety Act and the various ways of implementing the requirements of the Act. We also explore the various types of accidents and incidents and how these are dealt with in the workplace. The module will also address ways of preventing such accidents and incidents. You need to complete all required weekly quizzes in Lecture I in order to begin Lecture II quizzes and so on.
Lecture II: Safety Practices will follow immediately after Lecture I and deals with the act of working safely. We will explore ways of complying with the Act as well as how to identify potential hazards in the workplace and your area of work. This modules also addresses the types of hazards we may encounter in the workplace.
Lecture Ill: Dealing with Incidents will follow immediately after Lecture ll and looks at the steps in handling incidents in the workplace. We will identify the various types of emergency equipment available in a workplace and how these are applied. We will also address the question of shoplifting and how to restrict the chances of it occurring in your store.
This course is based on the SAQA registered unit standard:
• 114912 - Maintain a secure wholesale or retail environment and is registered at NQF Level 2 carrying 10 credits.
Course goals and Objectives
Lectures and assignments are organized to achieve these objectives:
- Understand and explain the health and safety regulation.
- Understand the potential causes of incidents and accidents
- Identify ways of preventing incidents and accidents
- Identify, select and correctly use a variety of emergency equipment
- Identify various safety signs within the workplace
- Explain the effects that incidents and accidents could have on shrinkage
- Maintain a safe and secure working environment
- Understand the role and responsibility in the event of emergency situations
- Demonstrate understanding of safety procedure that apply to the wholesale and retail sector